Wednesday, March 11, 2009

It isn't Monday??

The sky was absolutely gorgeous this morning, with a bit of a shift in the weather pattern.

With everything going on this week, I somehow became convinced it was Monday. So when people came up asking if the library was open I told them I didn't know why it wasn't open, as it usually was on Monday's. Weirdly, no one corrected me until a woman who volunteers at the library told me it usually is never open on Wednesday...,

There are a lot of Spring Break kids here this week. A conversation near the cart between a couple of groups meeting went something like this:

"Have you been to Rincon?"
"Yeah, we liked it a lot. Have you gone to Vieques?"
"Oh, yes, we were there a couple of days ago...then we came here."
"We like Culebra best..."
"OH, us too! It's so great here! We've met a lot of locals, great beache...fun..."

and so on. These don't quite seem like the sort of kids who would have hit Ft. Lauderdale. They wanted to rent bikes, they hiked, and of course they were partying...they ARE on Spring Break - I think it's the law. So far the ones I've met have been polite and funny and interesting. I'm glad they found us.

Here are some things I saw today:

A truck comes up across the street. Out comes a ladder and two men. Cones are set in the road. The ladder is set AGAINST THE WIRE. The ladder is also tied to the truck (a ground wire?). The younger guy holds the ladder steady, his feet playing brace on the bottom thingies.

Up he goes

He loops his canvas bucket on the wire and goes to work

He made this move (below) a few times...as I held my breath. Peaple came and went, chatting with him, no big deal. I was the only one quietly freaking out. He took the cover off of whatever that thing is - with a knife, slicing open the top, working it free - did some things I don't understand and then zip zap...down came the man, down came the ladder, the cones went in the truck and bye bye. Nobody died. I was the only one shocked. Things like this happen not infrequently here...and every time I'm surprised nobody dies. Maybe one day I'll get used to it...and maybe not

It was much more relaxing and fun to watch Matahn mash a lemon muffin in his mouf' - I think he got a particularly lemony bit here

I saw more than this of course. But...all in all it was a lazy, peaceful day. Which is, of course, as it should be.

4 comments:

  1. love it!! crazy, crazy, crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to worry. The wiring that hangs lower on the poles is either telephone or cable TV (or both). That cover he removed was from a telephone cable "splice case" that keeps the weather out. Someone new getting hooked up -- or someone old getting shut off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info. I knew it was telephone (or cable) but there are all sorts of wires connected on those poles...that lean at far from well planted directions! I'm just one of those people who worry...wires, metal ladders, Culebra stability = worry for me! And, when nothing bad happens, there's the ever present entertainment value as well!

    ReplyDelete