Sunday, March 1, 2009

Surprises and more

Sitting at the cart yesterday it was a surprise to look up and see an always welcome St. Johnian face. Apparently the Boys dem, all sailors who all live on their own sailboats, got go-fast boat fever and decided to cross the pond. A long, full day leading to an evening of enjoying Amy Jo singing has today being hazy and lazy. It might be awhile before they do that again, as it sounds like the ride from here to St. John (rarely is the trip from here to there NOT into the wind) was wet and cold. But it was great to have them here and maybe they'll forget the discomfort soon and do it again in the not too distant future. Brave up, lads!

Forward cleat on the all aluminium go-fast boat

Getting ready to head back to St. John

There was also the blessing of the animals yesterday. I needed to stay at the cart and asked Lawrence if he was willing to be my substitute photographer. He was and he did a fine, fine job! Thanks, Lawrence...you're hired!






Early evening brought the memorial for Richard Copakan out at the museum. There are too many aspects to write about this man to do true justice to him here, so google him and buy his book 'Target Culebra'. A number of people who bought it last night were telling me today that they have started it and it is already a 'don't want to put it down' read. I haven't cracked my copy yet, but shall tomorrow. His daughter Julie gave a simple and lovely eulogy to her father, with Don Machene speaking before her. One of those times I wished hugely that I understood more Spanish. We caught up with Julie later at Dinghy Dock, on a much lighter note. I think she got one of those magical tastes of a very special night on Culebra. Come back again, Julie!






The good thing about not going out much at night is that when I do, it seems extragood. And then, there are some nights that are just a wonderfully balanced combo of right people, right place, right time. Last night felt like that all night. Good thing, because this morning felt like Foggy Weather.

But the boys dem got fed and watered and dinghied from my dock to the city dock (first time since I've owned the dinghy that it had so many humans in it...plucky beast!) where the Shark waited. By the time I got home from the cart, the hammock was whispering my name and turned out to be a perfect place to grab some sleep this afternoon. As always.

Life is good. And sometimes, it's very very good.






2 comments: