Thursday, February 17, 2011

Blues and birds

Sometimes it is so beautiful here, I just have to stop what I'm doing and grab the camera. I'm so glad that while my life might not be elegant, my office views (depending on which office I'm using that day) are exquisite. Here are two of the paintings on my walls...yesterday.



Oh, this makes me quietly crazy with joy, most of the time. The rest of the time? Not so quietly.

After I got home I was inside when a chitter chatter got our (me and the cat) attention in a major way. It was the fish wife of all bird nattering. A banana quit was on a branch a few feet from my porch, chit chit chit chit chit as loudly as it could, holding fast to the branch while a host of young banana quits flew about. And then I realized that there were 4 or five hummingbirds DIVE BOMBING this bird. They were like little fighter jets, intent and not quite deadly. CWIM and I stood watching, immobilized. Well, I stood, CWIM sat.

Shaking my eyes free, I went inside and got the camera and nothing changed. They kept bombing the bird. The bird kept its grip, strong in its defense of...what? I couldn't see a nest but there must be one around...they are very tiny, so my not seeing it doesn't mean much. This went on at the very least for five minutes, which is a long time in bird ville.

Finally the banana quit flew to another branch. The hummers took 30 seconds to stop bombing the branch, relocate the banana quit and give up the harassment. In a few minutes, all was quiet again. It was...fascinating, mesmerizing and amazing. The photos are not crystal, but you'll get the idea, if not the essence.









Have a tenacious Thursday! Do something territorial.

2 comments:

  1. So... Puerto Rican hummingbirds are as war-like as our ruby-throats. Territorial buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea! I've seen them chase each other but never anything like this. It was wild (and I mean that)!

    ReplyDelete