Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Day of Peace

Someone on Facebook came up with this,certainly not original, and maybe not highly followed idea, but I am rolling with it. As written, it is pretty simplistic, but I'd like to give it a go, mainly because I need to have a day like this. Actually, it seems to me it should be called a Day of Kindness. But hey, I'm a semantics freak, what can I say? Nothing mean, that's for damn sure (it starts tomorrow, ok?).




Here is the deal (I can't really give a credit because it's on facebook and I didn't suss it out a whole lot, but if you are on fb, you can find it easily enough under Day of Peace):

I have an idea... for a day of peace. Wouldn't it be amazing?
Just one day in the year where we all held our tongues.
A day where we ignored others' shortcomings and made a valiant effort to be kind and understanding. 
A day where we all got along. It's sad that we are all at a point where we should do this, but it's even sadder to know that we easily could every day, but refuse to do so.

My proposition is simple:
One day, March 4th, we all stick to three simple rules that will make the world a little bit more bearable. Feel free to partake in this before and long after then; this event is to take place everywhere we go in the world, preferably all the time.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rule #1.
Say not a single unkind thing about anyone or anything. If at all possible, try not to even think a nasty thought. If we do, reflect on why it was that we thought to say it in the first place.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rule #2.
Show everyone we cross paths with some genuine human compassion. Be it with a smile or kind words, just spread some love.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rule #3.
Make not one person the exception to the rule. Not everyone deserves to have roses thrown at their feet and have a holiday in their honor, but nobody deserves to feel alone. Reach out. Talk to someone new. Care about them, and we will be cared for in return.



To help myself along with this, I'm also going to unplug. Yes. Sort of like saying, I'm going to calm my nerves by quitting breathing. I know. But who knows what could happen...the bridge isn't high enough and there are no buildings tall enough to do any real damage to myself, and I may just have a really good time. Since I usually do. But if you don't hear from me in a day or so,, you might want to call my brother.


In the meantime, here are the photos I took in the museum gardens from Lorraine's phone. My camera was in my backpack that I had to turn over to the desk inside. Cameras on phones. Hmmm. 


I couldn't mess around with these to lighten them up, so what I saw (and the phone) is what you get. It is a beautiful, calming space. Lots of people were eating lunch there or just taking a break. I can see why. 


Orchids. There were a lot of them!




Funky little sculpted chairs in a bamboo garden




Enjoy a day of peace. Be kind...or be quiet. Or. both. I'll be back...later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment