Friday, March 11, 2011

Free Range Friday...pretty much

When your throat feels like someone has used a grinder on it, the most soothing thing imaginable is, what else, ice cream! So I went out and bought an ice cream maker, found some mint and chocolate and made some Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream to make my throat feel better.

Ok, that's a lie, c'mon, where would I buy an ice cream maker on Culebra? I did try to BUY some mint chocolate chip ice cream and couldn't find any, so I bought vanilla instead. But if I felt better and if I had an ice cream maker, I'd make this ice cream in a heartbeat or 700.

Because I'm not going to adapt it, I'm presenting this as it is from his website...so here is the recipe! David Lebovitz's Mint Chip Ice Cream.




You are going to need these items:

1 cup (250 ml) whole milk
3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
2 cups (500 ml) heavy cream
pinch of salt
2 cups packed (80 gr) fresh mint leaves
5 large egg yolks
5 ounces (140 gr) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
Oh, and an ice cream maker is nice too. But guess what! You don't really need an ice cream maker! You can follow the recipe and then put the mixture in the freezer, stirring occasionally until it is frozen solid. If you have a large type baking pan to use, that's the best sort (like a lasagna type of pan). What the ice cream maker does is make it smoother, which is nice, but shouldn't stop your ice cream making. Just so you know.
And while you are enjoying your ice cream, please give a thought to the people of Japan who are, as we speak, being affected by a huge earthquake, 8.9 on the scale, as well as Sendai, the town wiped out by the ensuing tsunami. As I type, those waves are headed east, toward the Pacific islands, toward Hawaii, toward the US West coast. Let us hope for the best for all in front of those waves. 

5 comments:

  1. I know you are a smart girl, so here is and "Instructable" for making your own ice cream freezer.
    My friend from Hawaii says things were not as bad as they had anticipated, ad all is well. My thoughts are with those in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow, no link to the Instructable? I'm patient, I can wait! My friend in Hawaii (big island) told me his friend and some others had their businesses on the coastal road wiped out, so I guess everyone is being impacted differently. What a horror.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, just a note: a few people who have made comments - your comments have only come to my email, not in a form I can publish. I'm not sure what is wrong, but please let me know if I can help you figure it out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.instructables.com/
    Hopefully this will work. Just type in "homemade ice cream maker" and you should get the link. This site offers some of the best/funniest instructions for just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got it, thanks, chica! I don't know how to make a link active in my comments but that's not so difficult to cut and paste. Yes, I've seen some things from their site before, it's great! Never thought of looking for an ice cream maker though, silly me.

    ReplyDelete