Friday, October 9, 2009

Free Range Friday plus

The heat continues to break records around here. And they lied, we can melt and are melting. But I figured I could do a quick cooking bit and end up with something cool and good. And I did! Seasoned with my own sweat. Get your own.

Udon Noodles with Tomatoes and Broccoli

1 cup broccoli florets
1 tomato, cut bite sized or smaller
1 'section' udon noodle
1/4 cup red onion, minced
1 teaspoon minced garlic or garlic powder
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, roasted (or not)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
soy sauce

Salt / pepper to taste

I don't know about you but I love steamer baskets. I've probably had this one 15 years. It has never broken, gone rusty or lost its little *fork ring*. And it fits my use-it-for-almost-everything pot perfectly. So, let's begin.


Make your broccoli into bite sized florets. Put your steamer in the pot, which should have about an inch of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, put in the broccoli, put the lid on and don't go very far away. In about 2-4 minutes check the broccoli. It should be bright green and barely fork tender. Remove from heat. Take the steamer out of the pot (with the broccoli in it!) and set aside. Don't toss the water!


Add enough water to what is in the pot to have at least 4 cups. Add 1 tablespoon of sesame oil (I use the hot style by Roland). Bring water back to a boil. Put in the udon and stick around. In about 3 minutes it should be at an al dente stage. Remove from the heat and drain well. Rinse well with cold water, a couple of times and drain well. Set aside.

Yes, I'm a big Roland food line fan too...because it is good and because that is what is here!
Thank you Carlos of Superette Mayra for starting the Roland trend!



Here is where you decide to cook again or not. So far you've only had the stove going for 10 or 12 minutes, it's up to you. I didn't want any more heat, so I mixed up the tomato, onion, garlic powder - yes, I cheated - and soy sauce, along with the sesame seeds and remaining tablespoon of sesame oil. To cook it, heat the sesame oil, add the onions, minced garlic and tomato and saute until onions are barely translucent. Add sesame seeds and stir well.

Mix pasta and broccoli in a bowl and dress with the above mixture, using salt and pepper to taste. This amount serves only one, so plan accordingly. Simple, light and cool.


Buen provecho!

Earlier I'd gone to town to open the cartfor a while this afternoon (yes, shocking but sometimes I just get all wild and crazy and act on it). It was still hot so I was hanging out on the bridge with Kim when we noticed the canal was full of dead sea urchins, really beautiful ones. Why? Hell if I know. But then Anita and Krista came along, and then Amy Jo and Ken. We all discussed how to get them without getting in (though I admit I tried to talk Anita into it as she had her bathing suit on). Finally it was decided that Ken would get a pool net and use his kayak. Alrighty then! And so he did. It was a lot harder than just jumping in and getting them, which is what Digna suggested when she came along. Five women leaning over the bridge railing did get a few booty calls, which was the most excitement I've had on Culebra for a long time...

Cool bridge shadows AND urchins too!

Ken in retriever mode...go Ken!

So whatever made those beautiful one of a kind urchins come tumbling along the floor of the canal, thanks! And the sunset wasn't too shabby either...

2 comments:

  1. What did you all do with the sea urchins after you got them out of the canal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken and Amy Jo divided up the 9 (there were 10 but one broke) 3 for them, 3 for Kim and 3 for me. They are sitting in the sun and I'll take pics. That was 9 out of a few dozen...they are beautiful. And what will I do with them then? I have no idea...usually they sit around as sea eye candy and then they self implode. I guess they could be dipped in polyurethane and kept...want to try? I'll hold them for you!

    ReplyDelete