Friday, December 4, 2009

Free Range Friday


What more can I say about one simple pleasure in another color and taste that hasn't been said before?

Get yourself one yam or one per person
(as they call them here, versus sweet potatoes, which in PR are white)


It seems like a yam is way too big to have one per person...but that doesn't need to be true. Of course, I eat a little...well, like a single person and tend to not have my plate representing the major food groups...all at once. So judge accordingly, especially because yams can vary wildly in size.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Wash the yam(s) well, pierce the skin a few places with the tip of a sharp knife. You might want to put a sheet of foil under them to contain any drippings.
Cook for about an hour or until that same sharp (thin) knife can be inserted into the yam easily.

Take it out of the oven and split it open. Proceed to put as much butter (real butter please, that other stuff is NOT good for you...I think they use it to patch tractor tires but they leave out the yellow coloring) as seems legal on top. I'm sure some people use salt, I don't.

And then, what else is there to do? Buen provecho!!


2 comments:

  1. I gotta get this recipe from Mel's Illinois Riverdock restaurant. They serve baked yams the size of footballs and the maple butter turns them into dessert. I'm pretty sure the ingredients are butter, maple syrup, brown sugar and vanilla. Guessing 1 cup butter, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp. vanilla, but it'll undoubtedly require some tinkering. Well worth the hassle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read about that, but never had it...sounds decadent.

    ReplyDelete