Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sleepy Sunday before Winter Solstice

What winter brings to me

At almost 7 a.m. the sky is still dull with the sun not over my horizon yet. The dark comes early too, with 6:30 feeling like the middle of the night. I know in many parts of the world it's dark much earlier and light much later, but this is about all I want to have of darkness in my world. I've long wondered how people in the extreme fringes of the light/dark zones manage to get out of bed at all in the winter...it's really cold and really dark. I'd live in my bed. But maybe it only seems that way, maybe if I was born into it...blah blah...thank you DADDY for not doing that to me!

In the Northern Hemisphere, the Winter Solstice occurs on
December 21, 2009 at 12:47 PM EST and 17:47 UT (Universal Time).


For us, that means 1:47 p.m. as we are on Atlantic Standard Time. The east coast of America is an hour behind us (go figure). I for one am quite ready to see a return of the sun blaring in my window at 5:30 in the morning, which won't happen any time immediately, but at least I know it is on the way. But yes, I do love this coolness in the mornings and afternoons. I hear there are places where it is this temperature every day, all year long. So what do THEY whine about?

In the meantime, here is a photo of a ship that is in the harbour. It hails out of Maine and I'm in lust with it.


I took the boat picture on my way to *work*. Here is a mini clip of that ride...how good to start every day thinking Oh Wow.



Have a superb Sunday. Do something supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

4 comments:

  1. That's the Wanderbird. There was a little trepidation expressed in Michael Fisher's forum regarding it's plans to offer naturalist eco-tours in Culebra waters, but it seemed (at least to me) like a terrific way for Culebra to add economic activity without pressuring the delicate infrastructure. I hope it turns out that way.

    I know they are featuring a photography workshop sometime this season.

    --------

    The dinghy motor is purring nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone wants a piece of the pie...what else is new? Glad someone from Maine, that no one knows (except a few Maniacs who don't have anything good to say about the owner), can come down here and offer eco tours...uh huh. We'll see how that goes. Well, maybe the same as having a Culebra Green that...oh god, don't get me started. YES! the dinghy motor, Spunky (the only inanimate object of mine that I've ever named) is happy. And so am I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, looking at this on my phone this weekend, I wondered if that was the Wanderbird. I will be keeping my eye on them for the couple of weeks that I am there. I don't know why; can't put my finger on it, but I am just skeptical of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't find the islaculebra comment...

    They were there this morning, and gone when I headed home an hour ago...

    ReplyDelete