Sunday, January 29, 2012

Go Team!

I've been meaning to write about this for awhile, but in the whirl of social activity it got put to the side.

When my throat was in sore need of relief while I was sick, I happened to buy some Hall's drops (hey, they didn't have Smith Brothers, which would make me feel better just from the nostalgia endorphins released looking at the package). Usually I buy the eucalyptus ones but I was sort of being my own mommy and got the cherry ones instead. Yes, with the special, even more chemicals, promised to be so soothing liquid center. Those.

I don't think I started noticing the little surprise until about my third one. For some reason, the print on the wrapper caught my feverish eye and the first thing I read was "Get through it". That was only one of many little 'pat 'em on the butt and get 'em going' type messages that Hall's has imprinted on their wrappers. And yes, this is going to sound corny, but, damned if they didn't help me feel a little better. I'm one of a big tribe who just don't take to being sick at all, let alone for weeks, with a lot of good humor. More like, let me go into my den and I'll live or die, but just leave me to it. And here were these tiny cheerleaders, which I instantly personalized INTO cheerleaders, cheerleaders who had only one mission, Team MJ encouragement. The great thing is, they aren't really sappy, unlike the special syrup center (say that three times fast).

"Be unstoppable"

"Put your game face on"

"You got it in you" (ok, some of the grammar is a bit loose)

"Elicit a few 'wows' today" (but they use words like elicit)

"Get back in the game"


"Bet on yourself"

"Inspire envy" (this one, I think they could do without. Especially when a mirror glance shows that RUN! RUN! RUN AWAY! would be the inspiration given)

"Turn 'can do' into 'can did'!"

"Push on"

"Take charge and mean it"

"The show must go on. Or work" (one of the rather enigmatic favorites)

"Don't try harder!. Do harder!"

"Don't wait to get started"

"Put a little strut in it"

And my very favorite: "You've survived tougher" Say no more, Halls, indeed I have!

After writing the above, I wondered what the rest of the web had to say about these mini-charged messages. This dramatic example of 'if ever there was an opposite response', is the first thing I found. Why go any farther? Because I'm a curious human being! Surprisingly, there were quite a few blog posts on this very subject, seeming to run about 2 to 1 against the little messages. If I were a sociologist major, I'd consider this prime material for a thesis. But I'm not, so here's what you get. Maybe it's living alone. Maybe it's living on Culebra. Maybe it's because I don't work a 9-5 job. Maybe it's just because.

Personally, the sweet help and sympathy I got from friends mixed well with these silent little emotional energy boosters. Thanks, Halls! You're still not Smith Brother Cough Drops but I appreciate the effort.


Just in case you've not read the Sunday comics yet, here is a little historic perspective on marketing. And yes, everything you'll read below is true, like the fact that Galapagos turtles are as big as battleships.










Have a soothing Sunday. Do something sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment