Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Fourth of Feb



The above is out of San Juan, National Weather Service. Translate, good chance of rain later in the day but maybe not around here, but of course it might be. Yesterday was sun. rain, sun, rain, sun, rain and then it got dark and then I was asleep. This morning is beautiful and gusty, a good day to get something done. Where's my list?


Yesterday, while watching the pelicans, they put on a bit of a different show. Usually they fly high, high up and do bullet dives down to get to their meal. But this one was lifting up from the water, flying about a foot off the surface and crashing sideways into the water, scooping up the fish on the way. I've never seen them do that before; maybe it was a rebel innovator, like a skateboard trick. Whatever it might have been, the slickness of the trick was quite impressive. I've seen people at all you can eat buffets do something similar, but not with the same grace.


The other thing I saw were these tiny clams. The largest was about the size of an adult's thumb to forefinger circle, with a few smaller ones. I reached to pick up one of the larger ones, thinking about a time someplace up North where I watched seagulls snag clams and drop them on rocks, smashing them open. Sure enough, this one had been broken open the same way, with the tasty tidbit gone. If there had been a lot of them, I'd have collected a few for a taste treat, but there weren't enough, so I left them in hopes of the population increasing. And returning to my little beach. By the bushel. Is that too much to ask for?

Have a sack full of dreams Saturday! Do something smiling.



No comments:

Post a Comment