Sunday, February 19, 2012

Shhhhhh, it is Cold and it is Quiet

I don't have much today, but will do a little housekeeping of something I wanted to put up, as I didn't know about it and maybe you don't either.

I don't have much because I spent almost the entire day sleeping. Which was a glorious thing! Insomniacs will understand.

What I (mostly) saw when I was awake yesterday.
The cat was really appreciative of how I spent my day.
(And yes, this is my blankey)
Last week, when I wrote about the grouper I bought, Mark from the Cayman's commented that I should never buy grouper, that is it becoming endangered. I thought, really? So, doing a brief bit of research, it appears that in the Caribbean, the Nassau grouper truly is being overfished. Who knew?


The most clear and simple article about this was from Fish Watch, via the National Marine Fisheries Service, via NOAA, which is also where this photo comes from. It's an easy read, check it out.

Because there are a LOT of kinds of grouper (the answer of how many seems vague, anywhere from 'lots' to 'over 60 species'), I cannot be sure this is what I bought and ate, so if anyone knows what grouper is caught and sold around here, I'd appreciate a word back on that.

 It is cold here this morning, 69 degrees. I know it will warm up soon, but right now, it's socks and 'if I wasn't so cold I'd pull down the quilt' weather. If there was any wind, I'd say the wind chill makes it 'feel like' 48 degrees. But there is no wind, so I will just assume that with no cloud cover to hold in any warmth, it's just plain cold.

Time to brave the elements (walking three steps away from the blanket) and get some more tea! I've faced difficult times before, and I know I can do this. Of course, in 20 minutes it will be in the high 70's or low 80's. Maybe I should wait.

Have a sun-warm Sunday! Do something not shivering.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I believe that it is specifically the Nassau Grouper that is in trouble.
    Here, there is a big push to make the Grouper protected. There is an eight year fishing ban coming to an end, and it I think it just got renewed for another 8, but the push is to make the grouper protected by law like conch and lobster is here. (You can take conch and lobster in season only) Check out Guy Harveys Grouper Moon video, if you can find it. Very informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information, Mark.

    ReplyDelete