Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Some Culebra This and That

Yesterday was one of those days that seemed all over the place, in a good way. When I needed to be out and doing errands, the sun was out, enough for the laundry to dry. When I was answering email bread orders, it was cozy inside raining outside. While Ivan was having his meet and greet your potential next Mayor time at Club Seabourne, the sky was full of the moon, the air was cool and the microphones all worked surprisingly well. There's not much more to ask for than that from a day and evening, here on Culebra (except for my modem not getting here yet, but there's always something to look forward to).

There are a lot of photos of the meeting with Ivan here, because that was the biggie of the day, but on my errand run, a few things I always think about taking photos of happened to be 'right there' and so was I.

 Just another beautiful boat on the bay. The name of it is Wild Fox, from Belfast. 
And I don't think it's Belfast, Maine.

 The happy gate of Casita Linda

 Yolas and yola molds

 Finally my own shot of the new gas station

The main purpose of the meeting with Ivan (who is running for Mayor and is one of two candidates on the primary ticket being voted on in March, along with Alexis) was for everyone to get together to understand his positions on certain issues and have the availability to hear the responses in English as well as Spanish. For those of us who habla Espanol poquito and/or mala, it was a big help. I've spoken to Ivan a lot over the years, in English (usually about various things that need fixing on Culebra but sometimes about things as nice as the wonderful mango trees growing over there), since, when I was at the cart, he was at the fire department station (the bomberos) across the street from me. So, if you want to speak to him in English, no problemo! 

Not so great video, again, but a tiny flavor of the night

 Peace out, Sam!

 Maria and Alicia looking particularly Mother Daughter beautiful 

 Hittin' the notes





 Introducing the team and familia

 The sons

 Issues that need addressing on Culebra, a number of them discussed

 Not surprisingly, the launcha issue is a biggie

 Jim Galasso talking about a few things

 Gotta love a free glass of rum punch, along with some great hor'derves . 
Thanks, Ivan and Seabourne staff, well done!!


 Ivan and his wife, who I just really liked for her naturalness and affection toward Ivan 
(I mean, how cute is that?)


The team Ivan

The questions, opinions and responses centered around ACDEC and government agencies and changes and potential. While there is a natural distrust, not of Ivan in particular, but government in general, especially in regard to some large issues here, re: the ferry problems, those who would overdevelop Culebra at the drop of as many dollars as gets the job done a hat, promoting good tourism, etc., I feel Ivan gave his honest heart on what he and his team hope for if he is elected. And I believe him, in large part because of what I mentioned above. I didn't just listen to Ivan last night, I've been talking and listening to him for years, but even more, I've seen him get some things done that needed to get done, just as a citizen of Culebra. Actions do speak louder than words. At least, that's what I think.

Have a willing to open your mind Wednesday! Do something winspirational.

6 comments:

  1. I'm curious if the other candidate has offered to meet with the citizens in an English-speaking forum. I take it Ricky is not running for re-election? He really is interim?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricky IS running for Mayor and he did have a meeting. I didn't go to the meeting though, so I couldn't report on it first hand. He will be in the primary for the Blue party, running against Tito; Ivan will be in the primary running against Alexis with the Red party. Which, just in case people don't know, is sort of but not exactly at all, the opposite of what Red and Blue mean in the states.

    If anyone wants to know or understand more about the political parties of Puerto Rico, this is a basic starting place. It's pretty interesting and a bit confusing at first, but worth understanding, if only for the fact that it is very different than the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_parties_in_Puerto_Rico

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I posted that, I realized that it may be a primary election where Alexis and Ivan were in the same party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi MJ,

    Just a quick message - you caught me with the sailboat picture and the comment about Belfast, but not Belfast, ME. So, a big hi from my husband and I, as well as best greetings from Rick & Karen Miles - our friends for a long time on Wanderbird, and currently our dockmates for the winter here in beautiful Belfast, ME. They said that we should reach out and say hi - introduce ourselves. We hope to meet you in person this coming winter in beautiful Culebra. Then you can have a real Belfast, ME sailboat in a picture from your harbor.

    Hope all is well with you. Thank you for the blog - I appreciate reading all your updates.

    Judi & David Erickson
    S/V Vahana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Judi and David,

    I love Belfast, ME and thanks so much for your note. Please feel free to send along a photo and I'll be happy to post it. We look forward to seeing you both when you get here. And please pass along love and greetings to Rick and Karen; we miss them and Wanderbird gracing the bay!

    MJ

    ReplyDelete