Monday, December 12, 2011

First Chilly Morning

Finally! A bloom the iguanas haven't found on this plant.
At 72 degrees F, it is a stay under the blanket until the cat bites my hair to make me get up and feed her morning. A 'where is the tea making fairy?' morning. An 'I'd go take a photo but I don't want to get out of bed yet' morning. No fan going, no mozzies, and no cat feeding, tea making fairies. Ah yes, here in the islands, we take the good with the bad because that's just the kind of rugged, practically pioneer-like individuals we are.

I can hear the pelicans fishing this morning. They were busy yesterday afternoon as well.


Okay, most of them were busy

It won't take long for the sun to be bringing up the temps, with today slated for the low 80's. This is what we wait for, slogging through our watching the skies and radar for bad weather (no, we don't stop enjoying life, we are just alert and prepared for what might be and thankfully, usually isn't), breathless, humidity filled days of our hot season. Clear, beautiful, chilly mornings like this. Some people think we have no seasons here in the land of palm trees, but we do. We leave the drama of flaming trees and snowy drifts to the northern climes and enjoy the slow and subtle slide of days and nights into changes of the weather, on island time. Where are my long sleeve t-shirts?

Have a mug of warm Monday! Do something merrily.

4 comments:

  1. Here it's been cool for a while. I'm waiting for it to warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this weather! Not sweating, having the blanket on, soup, not sweating. Did I mention not sweating?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 72 chilly?? How about 26 with ice on your windshield. But I do sympathize. I grew up in southern California, my wife in Miami. We live in VA for now. 72 can feel chilly. We hate cold and get away from it as often as possible. Counting the days-86.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you understand our attitude toward chilly! I just saw a bit of a Vieques blog and the writer said something like, We know it's winter because look in any open air bar and the locals are wearing long sleeves and hoodies while the tourists are in shorts and bathing suits... Soon it will be time for y'all to jump on the plane!

    ReplyDelete