Wednesday, March 10, 2010

More Chick Chick all the time

In yesterday's post, I left you with Chick Chick wandering the yard. After that I went to my dinghy to head to town and while I was bailing out the dinghy I looked up and she was, to my startlement, on the dock. CWIM has never ventured to the actual dock and I respect that. A chicken on my dock was...well, interesting. I went back to my bailing and then was filling the gas tank when I heard a whirrrr of wings and she (Chick Chick, not CWIM) was on my bent over back. All I could think was to hope she wouldn't peck my head, not with a nearly full gas container in my hands, and thankfully, she didn'tI finished filling the tank while she did a little chicken dance and then carefully crawled onto the dock. When I stood up, she jumped off, quite pleased with herself until I caught her and put her back in the coop. Somehow, bringing a chicken to work with me just doesn't have a Mary had a Little Lamb cuteness to it, at least in my world view. I guess I could tell her apart from the rest of the chickens because she'd be the one in my lap.

Since then, she has jumped on my head, as well as my backpack and is hanging a little to close to my front door for CWIM, who considers anything from the porch on to be her territory. Well, she considers everything in the yard to be her joy zone as well, but leaves the chickens alone. Until now. I'm sure they'll figure it out as Teresa had cats and dogs around before I inherited her. Note to self: remind self that Teresa is taking care of critters while I'm gone and to not mention that perhaps the chicken / human bonding thing went a little farther than my personal comfort zone.

Her babies are quite content to revel in the coop condo, no longer having to compete with a newly un-maternal co-habitant for food or space. I will admit they were quite cute last night when I checked on them with the flashlight, cuddled up together in one of the nesting boxes.

And people say life on Culebra is too quiet sometimes...I quite disagree!

 I was looking through my photos for chickens. 

The first thing that came up was this...

and the second thing was this...hmmm

1 comment:

  1. That shot of CWIY intrigues me. Never quite saw the coloring and markings before. Looks to be a Bengal Cat descendant, perhaps a cousin of my Trixie cat. Does he/she swim?

    ReplyDelete