Thursday, March 4, 2010

Some times...

Sometimes I can barely believe I live here. Right now is one of those moments. It's late, very late, but I'm still wired (though tired) after my night working at Susie's, a good night as it always is, ending with friends winding down.

Sitting here at my table/desk I thought I heard someone in the yard and walked out to my little dock to see if anyone was about. The moon, though past full, is shining brightly, so I didn't need a flashlight to get down the tricky bit of the path. Moonshine is catching each ripple in the water like a gentle strobe pulse. There was no one out there, so I don't know what I heard, but I'm grateful for it, because it drew me outside, to stand for awhile in the wonder. Baby waves lap the shore. The boats rock on their tethers. I had to fight the impulse (and why? I don't know) to get in the dinghy and just ride...maybe I didn't want to make that much noise....breaking the natural sounds around me, those wavelets, a dog barking far off and away, a time challenged rooster, a loose line banging a mast...the sounds in my nights.

Culebra. I'm so glad I found you.

 

  

  

  

  



 

5 comments:

  1. :)) i get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can grasp two dimensions of it. I get my taste when providence allows - I wonder what it's like to luxuriate in it.

    It might be fun to keep your eye peeled for a used small trolling motor for silent cruising at night...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had one of those Doug...but the whole deal of the battery / dinghy / charging thing is not so simple. Beside my inherent laziness to drag it all around. I love the idea of it though! When they make one that runs on triple AAA's, I might look again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, it's a bad back waiting to happen. I'm thinking a clever solution, such as a lightweight charger, may exist; I'll ask questions when I get up to the river this spring.

    ReplyDelete