Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hold the excitement down!













Beside being Alexander Graham Bell's Birthday- (March 3, 1847) as well as a day dear to my sandy footed heart, Florida Admission Day, it is also, unbeknownst to me until this year, Japanese Girl Day. And what a great idea to celebrate being a girl, with wishes for healthiness and happiness. Every country needs one of these days (and yes, there is a Japanese Boy Day too, but I'm of the girl gender so this caught my eye first).

Even better, the traditional food for JGD is something I know I'd love but have never had in this form...temari sushi. As if regular sushi wasn't small enough, temari sushi is little rice balls covered with the fish/whatever of your choice and often served at celebratory events.


  • Side note: more reasons why I love the internet...I've been eating sushi and sashimi for about 50 years (thanks, Dad!) and just found out about this other traditional style...there is so much to learn every day, every where...I'll never catch up!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of girls (and I am) congratulations to my granddaughter Sloane, who, with her friends, took second place in the History Day competition for their school. That means they get to advance to the statewide competitions in April. Go, Sloanie girl!!!! (and friends, of course).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And last but not least, an update from the other side of the planet: thanks, Chuck, for the good, bad and sad of it.

Tsunami? What Tsunami???

Ahoy Crew and Yokwe from the Marshall Islands!
I send this out to you because I have received a lot of emails concerning the effects of the latest Tsunami Scare. All is well here in the Marshall Islands aboard the good ship "Deviant".
The massive earthquake in Chile the other day triggered Tsunami Warnings across the width of the Pacific Ocean. Fortunately the Tsunami proved to be less than anticipated, in fact here in the Marshalls it passed unnoticed.
The cruising and commercial boats on the docks and at moorings did take the precaution of heading to deeper water further out in the lagoon to ride it out safely in the event of a major occurance. The Tsunami, however, left us not even a ripple. WHEW!!!
As you can tell, I haven't had much to say of late. We have been in the throes of an El Nino inspired drought here and I've been scrambling to keep up with the demand on our water sales. You may remember that we set up a system last year bringing less expensive drinking water to the people of the Marshall Islands. Well the system has expanded from a few hundred gallons a day to couple of thousand gallons a day. We are getting ready to install a much larger Reverse Osmosis unit later this month.
Our solar power sales continue to climb as well and that, too, has got my attention.
The Tradewinds have been blowing steadily since December and those cruisers that wanted to head west to the Philippines or Thailand have already left in order to miss the Western Pacific's tropical storm season. Here in the Marshalls tropical storms are rare although they do occasionally wreak havoc. Those cruisers heading south to Fiji, Vanuatu, NZ, The Solomons or Oz won't be leaving for another month or two. As for me and the "Deev", I'm not sure of my plans yet...
The local fishing club has been active and it's been a very good year for Mahi-Mahi and Wahoo. Of course there are always a few Blue Marlin in the mix and I'm happy to say that more are being tagged and released than before. No one has reported any really big fish lately but they are always here.
The heads of state out here had their Tuna Fisheries meeting last week but I still don't see much hope for the future of this fishery. There is just too much commercial fishing pressure on the Tuna and they are being raped and pillaged. The latest meeting in Palau came up with a game plan to better regulate the fishery in 10-15 years time. By then I fear it will be too late to save the Tuna. Such is the life of man...
Cheers and Carry On!!!
Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment