Friday, April 13, 2012

From the (fun) Mundane to the Sublime

The other day I needed to sew something (real sewing is not my forte, I'm more the 'put a button back on' sort) and realized all my needles had rusted to the point of breaking, just trying to get them out of their little paper sleeve. I'd gone everywhere but Cheli's (Superette Mayra), only because it was closed when I'd go by. But yesterday, not only did I remember, but they were open! The thread part was easy, after Dion showed me where it was kept - back in the corner near the towels and shower curtains - the needles, however, are kept behind the counter. Perhaps there is some danger in leaving sewing needles out in the reach of an unwary public; I'm not sure. But Cheli got them for me and I was instantly transported back to another era.

Though I try to avoid products from China, the fact that this is made in China makes it even funnier better.

Growing up without a mother in the house and housekeepers who didn't sew, I can't say for sure that women sitting around a table looking so completely rapturous about a length of thread on a needle wasn't the norm. But I do have sewing friends (and friend's Mom's who tried to teach me to sew/crochet/knit) and I can't remember ever seeing them look like this. Over sewing, anyway. 

It's so neat, so tidy! I'm almost reluctant to use anything here. Which wouldn't take much.
Time will tell if they are truly rust-proof or not.
Yesterday, which is make-dough-sleep-early-get-up-at-midnight bread baking day/night/day, I somehow went to sleep too early and slept right through the afternoon, right through the early evening and right through to OH MY GOD WHAT TIME IS IT?? 11:30 p.m. Too late to make dough and bake and be ready at 8 this morning. So after I calmed down with a cup of tea, I started making dough and am now baking away. The bread will be ready at noon. I will be a caffeinated freak by then (switched to coffee), so if you feel tremors, don't worry, it's just me bouncing around here. It's Friday the 13th, my lucky day. Hey, I woke up, didn't I?

First loaves out! (Jesse, you can come by early if you want!)
The dawning this morning was the stuff of awe making. Subtle and beautiful. It only lasts about four minutes and I was lucky to look up at just the right time. It turned my day around. Or at least it turned my head around, which is sort of the same thing.

What I saw outside my window
What I saw when I grabbed the camera and ran outside. That's how fast the colors change.
Yes, I scared the cat.
I know this is supposed to be Free Range Friday, but some days just don't need any extra pushing. This is one of them. It's all good, it's all good, it's all good. Repeat and serve.

Have a fortuitous Friday! Do something without getting freaked.

No comments:

Post a Comment